Thursday 30 August 2012

Uzbekistan 21st June – 19th July 2012


TASHKENT: Currently 2800 Uzbeki Som to the Dollar on the black market (around 1800 officially). Highest denomination is the 1,000 Som note - queue obligatory money shot.



TASHKENT: The owner of the guesthouse playing the Dutar translated, literally as 'two string'.


I threw a strop when he said I had to pay a dollar a night for keeping my bike at the guesthouse while I was away touring the country.


Oh yeah, I didn't cycle much in Uzbekistan.












SAMARKAND: The Registan. I snuck in the back so I didn't have to pay.




SAMARKAND: Bibi-Khanym Mosque. And locals hugging the shadows.




SAMARKAND: Shah-i-Zindah Mausoleum 'ensemble'.






















SAMARKAND: shah-i-Zindah tile detail.




BUKHARA: The Ark at sunset. Home of exotic despots.




BUKHARA: Char Minar 'four minarets' mosque.




BUKHARA: You hot bastard.


BUKHARA: Kalon Minaret. 47 metres tall, 10 metre deep foundations. So good Chinnigis Khan didn't knock it down. Which was nice of him, becuase you know, he gets a lot of bad press.


KHIVA: Poor plug to appliance ratio.




KHIVA: Kalta Minor Minaret: unfinished, legend says, because completed you would be able to see into the Khan's harem.




MOYNAQ: Formerly a fishing village on the Aral Sea now shop-front for The Apocalypse.




662.JPG


YANGIYO'L: Back on the bicycle heading to the Tajikistan border. Asked to put my tent up in a farm, a farmer led me back to his house where his self-consciously short family fed me up.


BEKOBOD: Near the Tajikistan border. Babur and his son putting my bike in the boot of his Lada. More cheating, but in my defence, I had a hell of a hangover.


No comments:

Post a Comment